Well feijoa season is well and truly upon us here in New Zealand and the two trees in my parents’ back garden has pretty much exploded with fruit. No-one there really eats them (or, at least, they don’t eat THAT many), but Michael loves them so we raided their lawn. Personally, I’m not a fan of feijoas so I came up with the idea of (what else?) making a cake out of them.
The cake looked and tasted pretty great and the feijoa flavour wasn’t overpowering so it got two thumbs up from me.
75g butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed feijoas
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (I used vanilla bean paste but essence, flavouring, whatever would be fine)
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix in the mashed feijoas.
3. Add the milk, eggs and vanilla.
4. Sift the flour baking powder and baking soda together and add to the wet ingredients.
5. Mix it all up and pour into a baking paper lined (or greased) cake tin. I used a regular sized loaf tin.
6. Bake at 180C for 40 mins. I found that the cake was browning too rapidly so I covered it with tin foil after 25 mins.
Happy Baking! :D